Sunday, March 7, 2010

KitCat Sunday - Asian Style

NOTE: I have two blog posts today, this one and the Crafty Ho's challenge one that follows.



KitCat Sunday



with the most lovely (and sweet!) of hostesses: Kelly




Oh my! You can not imagine the gorgeous package of lucious goodies our dear sweet Kelly mailed to the 5 other KitCats about a month ago. The papers are so light, soft, gorgeous, perfect! The flowers are wonderfully fun with shimmers, flocking, and tons of texture! The cording is stiff yet soft and so cheerful with its hint of silver. The charm is both beautiful and sweet - it reads Good Luck in Japanese. And then theres that wonderfully amazing image! What a gorgeous array of Asian artisty.

I fear I in no way did justice to Kelly's outstanding kit, but here is my card.








For another, more mystical view of the card, I changed the lighting a bit and gave it a more surreal look.







Here's a close up so you can see a better view of the image and the charm, flowers and cording.





Because of the gorgeous details of the flowers, the card has a lot of dimension as you can see in this picture.




Kelly's instructions for us were to use 2-3 sheets of the Washi papers on our card. I opted for using just two of mine (I've saved the third one for another special project at some point in the future). These Japanese papers really are amazing. Washi paper is made from the Gampi tree, the mitsumata shrub or paper mulberry. Washi (Wa meaning Japanese nd Shi meaning paper) is made through a long and laborious process including the use of no chemicals. It is often made in the very cold weather of winter so they can take advantage of the pure, cold running water often found in the mountains.


Kelly also instructed us to use the clower color to accentuate our cards and to add the Good luck charm and cord to our card in any way we chose. I think I had the most fun with that part of the instructions. I looped and wove the cord through the centers of the flowers, connecting them with one another. I also used a bit of the cord to attach the charm to the flower that is positioned on the image itself.

Kelly, your kit was such fun to play with. THANK YOU!

Now, let's go see what the other KitCats did with their kits...










Image: Kodomo Zigen Collection by Japanese ARtist Tanabe Ziegen, printed on MFT paper
Ink: Memenot Tuxedo Black and Copic markers
Cardstock: Stampin' UP! Black, Old Olive, and Tangerine Tango
Designer Papers: Bamboo Orange Washi Paper and Yuzen Washi Paper
Embellishments: Japanese charm, cording, Prima flowers, and white brads

8 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Gahhhhhh! Jeanette! My stars, girl - this is jaw dropping gorgeous! What a terrific card you've made with the kit (yay! So glad you liked it and played along with my idea & read my term paper, ha ha!) This is stunning on so many levels - your coloring, choice of two different color flowers, the fishes! Love how you looped the Mizuhiki cord through the flowers - terrific touch! You've done this kit Justice and then some! I'm so blessed you were part of my kit-cat this month! {{{ xoxoxo }}}

Rhonda Miller said...

Beautiful. I love the Japanese theme.

*Susan* said...

GASP! JEANETTE THIS IS GORGEOUS!! Absolutely, positively stunning! Your coloring is *beautiful* - look at those morning glories! - and you used all the special elements Kels included to perfection! I just LOVE how you scattered the layers of flowers across the card and your little cord detail behind them. GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS! {HUG}

Lorie said...

What a stunner of a card, Jeanette! You so nailed this challenge by taking all of the beautiful things Kelly prepared for us, and putting it together perfectly! Your colors and coloring are gorgeous, and I love the way you wrapped the cord through the flowers. Just amazing, my friend! This was fun, wasn't it?!!

Love ya,
Lorie

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! Just absolutely beautiful. The coloring is so amazing - it just totally pops. And great minds - I wrapped my cord too, it was just sooo neat and needed to be shown off. Totally awesome Jeanette!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jeanette...what a great job you did with this card...and I love your description of all the elements...makes one want to jump right through the screen and touch it...beautiful job my friend.

Judy McMullen said...

Gorgeous! Love these scrumptious papers and embellies. They go so perfectly with the great fish image.

kadie said...

FABULOUS!!! This month's kit is soooooo gorgeous and each of your did an amazing job! So elegant! I love that stamp and the papers and flowers are PERFECT with it!