Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Mid-Week Joy Report


Some weeks are quite busy - this was one of them. It seems like we had meetings galore and lots going on in addition to the meetings. BUT... that's not a bad thing. As one of my friends recently observed (and commented to me) - "you do love your plate full" - and she wasn't talking about food, though I do like to eat, too.

Speaking of food... I made comfort food yesterday. Chicken and noodles. Y-U-M!

In addition to meetings and the usual stuff this week, I also managed to make 19 cards. That was fun!

Yes, it HAS been a JOY-filled week!


* * * * *


Here is is... the 12th week of the year. Do you know how I know that? Because I'm now posting my 12th card for "My 50 Truths Challenge" - based on chapter 12 of the book 50 Truths Worth Knowing.


Chapter 12
It's Wonderful to Be Human


The opening line of this chapter/excerpt (in the words of Laura) were: "I never liked being a human."

Intriguing way to start, don't you think? She went on to talk about how she struggled with her imperfection as a human. She never seemed to measure up to what her own expectations for herself wanted her to be. Instead of focusing on the positive things she let those minuscule imperfections overwhelm her. She wanted to be perfect even while she recognized that wasn't possible because she was human.

Then her father was diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer. Her life turned upside down.

The paragraph where she talked about her experiences with him during the last months of his life - everyday things, making a small difference in his waning life - literally brought me to tears. So poignant and beautiful. Words from the heart of a daughter.

And she said, "When he died, I had no regrets. I still grieved, but... he knew I loved him. I knew he loved me. That's what really mattered."

She learned a valuable lesson as a result of that painful journey. She learned to keep her mistakes in perspective. When she messes up, instead of letting it become a mountain she cannot seem to climb, she now quickly tries to right what she can and she has learned to live with her imperfections.

One of the reasons why she's able to do that is because Laura realizes that she cannot remember her father's mistakes any more - though she's sure he had them, because after all, he was human. Instead she only has memories of the wonderful father he was; a wonderful human being.

"And that is the best that any of us can really hope to be."


Here's the card I made based on this chapter/excerpt:






Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


Quote: Tim Holtz Phrases 2 stamped with Lawn Fawn Jet Black Ink

Papers: Stampin' UP! Natural Ivory and Wild Wasabi Cardstock and DP from my scrap file

Border: EK Success Punch

Embellishments: Your Next Stamp Gum Drops

4 comments:

s.mcfeggan@gmail.com said...

I too struggle with thinking I need to be perfect and have to remind myself that I'm only human. What a wonderful story this week Jeanette. Your card says it all!
Oh and I sure did giggle again...19 cards! Of course you did! lol

kiwimeskreations said...

Hmmm - that is very much food for thought for me too Jeanette - thank you for sharing, and what a wonderful card you have h=made from the vignette.
Blessings
Maxine

Lynn McAuley said...

Great card, Jeanette! Fabulous papers and layout to let this message shine. I have learned in the past few months that bumps in the road not that big a deal. I just try to take my foot off the gas and let them fade slowly in the rearview mirror.

:: BlueInks :: said...

What a great idea to stamp a sentiment on the cute little lined paper! I really gotta get my creative on! LOL